If you haven’t roasted bananas with choccy on the campfire, you’ve been missing out. No stress! Here’s how to knock ’em out at your next kumbaya sesh.
Imagine a banana split, but warm. Now add a little bit of an outdoorsy taste: campfire smoke mixed with soft, sweet banana, molten chocolate and crunchy cookie crumbs on top. Prepared with love and the spirit of adventure under the night sky. You can thank us later. Just enjoy for now!
Think barbecues are all about the meat? Far from it. I reckon desserts are where the true magic of campfire-roasted food reveals itself. Think s’mores, think roasted marshmallows… and then think again and replace them with this perfectly balanced dessert – it might become your new campfire classic!
Pair with this: Boozy Campfire Hot Choccy
- 2 bananas
- Chocolate chips of choice (milk choc, white or dark work equally well)
- Optional: Cookie crumbs, marshmallows, nuts, shredded coconut. Your tastebuds are the limit!
- Slice the bananas (with the peel still on) lengthwise along the curved side – but don’t cut all the way through.
- Stuff the pocket you’ve created with chocolate chips and other add-ins of choice.
- Wrap in tinfoil; optionally a layer of parchment paper can be placed between banana and tinfoil.
- Place on the grill, but not directly on the fire (we want the bananas warmed, not burned). You can also scrape out some hot coals with a stick if you don’t have a grill.
- After about 5 minutes, test with tongs to see if the banana is slightly soft. If so, it’s ready.
- Grab a spoon, unravel the hot, sweet goodness, sprinkle with cookie crumbs or other toppings to taste and enjoy every last bite.