What do you get when you combine two slices of bread, your favourite style of cheese, a tonne of butter and a sandwich press? No not a heart attack. The best damn lunch on the planet.
Toasties are a staple and camping favourite! So many combos, so much melted cheese. It’s tricky to beat a classic cheese toastie, but we reckon this one just about tops it. We’ve thrown together a mouthwatering combo of fillings, with names that may be tricky to wrap your tongue around, but certainly not your chompers. Honestly, this could be served up in a five-star restaurant without complaint. Get it into ya!
- 4 large slices of sourdough bread
- 2 cups radicchio, roughly torn
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 100g Mortadella (that’s meat)
- 100g Provolone piccante (that’s cheese)
- 4 cucumber pickles
1. Pop the skillet over a medium heat campfire. Allow the skillet to sit on the flames for a few minutes, bringing up the temperature – we want the skillet roaring hot for maximum grill capacity when the toastie is ready to go.
2. Time to construct your toastie. Grab two slices of bread and spread butter on both sides. Butter on the outside is crucial to making the toastie all crispy and golden. Spread the Dijon mustard over one slice, then layer the provolone picante cheese, mortadella, pickles and radicchio before topping it off with your second slice of buttered bread.
3. Drizzle a dollop of olive oil into your skillet and pop in your toastie. Let it grill for 2-3 minutes or until the bottom of the toastie is golden brown. Once it’s reached this point, flip your toastie and push down on it with a spatula or enamel plate. This compression will help meld your bread with all your tasty fillings and help your toastie get nice and crispy on the outside.
4. Cook until the bread is well toasted and the cheese is dripping down the edges, mmmmm. Slice and eat immediately!
Download Offline Recipe
Gimme the goods