There’s nothing more satisfying than digging into some well-earned snacks out in the bush. This sweet ‘n’ salty popcorn granola is the perfect afternoon treat and just a little bit indulgent.
You know when you just can’t quite decide what you feel like eating? Something savoury? Maybe something sweet? You’re just a little peckish and need a little somethin’ to take the edge off. Well baby, our pimped out popcorn granola is as edgy as a snack can get.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup corn kernels
- 1 ½ cups mixed nuts and seeds (hazelnuts and pepitas are a good match!)
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 50g chocolate, roughly chopped
- First, we’re popping the corn. Add half the olive oil into the bottom of a billy can or dutch oven and place over medium-hot part of the fire, preferably on top of a campfire grill.
- Pour in your popcorn kernels and allow it to heat up, shaking every 30 seconds. This ensures that the kernels don’t burn to the base. Once the popping slows down to several seconds between each pop, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over a medium-hot part of the campfire. Add in the nuts and seeds and let them toast for 5 minutes until golden.
- Add in the coconut flakes, remaining olive oil, sea salt, cinnamon and maple syrup and continue to toss until everything is well incorporated and the granola is golden brown.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and allow the granola to cool almost entirely. Mix through the popcorn and chocolate and bloody tuck in!