- The tamest kangaroos you’ll ever meet in the wild, along with stacks of birdlife
- Amazing clear skies countless stars at night
- Hiking trails for all fitness levels along the coast
- The feeling of pure isolation, including lack of phone reception, yet being just 20mins drive from Bateman’s Bay for the essentials (coffee!)
My idea of the perfect way to spend my birthday is to go somewhere beautiful, unplug and just chill in nature with my girl. This year, we chose Pebbly Beach on the NSW South Coast – only 20mins drive from Bateman’s Bay, yet so secluded.
Pebbly Beach is renowned for it’s super tame kangaroo population… you can literally stroke their lovely fur while they laze in the sun on the beach. These roos have it good! For the animal lover, there is plenty of bird life too – I lost count of the number of species I saw on the first day! Lyrebirds, little scrub wrens and soaring sea eagles to name a few.
Keen surfers should definitely throw in a board or two. The waves weren’t amazing while I was there, but to get up with the sun and surf for a couple of hours each morning, was just what I needed. I was the only one in the water (and this was on a long weekend)
There is a walking trail heading north along the coast. Walk an easy 10mins to the next little bay (where the surf is actually pretty good too) or truck along for hours.
When it finally comes time to leave, make sure not to rush on the way back out to the highway… the road to Pebbly Beach goes through some of the most stunning lush forest, it feels almost prehistoric.
- Everything you’ll need for self-sufficient, no power camping:
- Water, food
- Solar shower if you need it – cold showers only
- Vans/caravans/tents catered for, Cabins available
- Hiking gear
How to get there
- Watching the wildlife
- Surfing/swimming/ocean sports
- Beach combing and exploring the rockpools
- Escaping civilisation