As avid campers and hikers, we often grab a couple packets of mi goreng to throw in our backpacks when we’re in need of a quick and easy meal. This recipe shows you how to step up your mi goreng game using lightweight ingredients that are typically found in your gear kit.
Hands up if you were raised with mi goreng as a kid? Maybe you were a uni student on a tight budget when you discovered it. These noodles are so iconic they’ve taken over the globe. You can pretty much find them in any supermarket you come across and they even come in different flavours; hot and spicy, barbeque, satay, and chicken.
This recipe takes us back to our time in Singapore, taste testing all the food stalls at Hawker markets. This one’s for you guys!
Read more: 10 Ingredients to Pack in Your Camping Kit
- Mi Goreng instant noodle packet
- ½ cup freeze-dried vegetables
- ½ cup red capsicum (optional)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- Drizzle sesame oil
- Lime wedge
1. In a pot of boiling water put in the noodles and freeze-dried vegetables. Take off heat and let it sit for two minutes.
2. To make the sauce, add all flavour sachets from the noodle packet (except fried onions) to a bowl, along with the curry powder, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Mix well.
3. Once the noodles and vegetables are rehydrated, discard excess water. Add in sauce and cook for another two minutes, then take off the heat.
Sprinkle fried onions (from mi goreng packet) and serve with a wedge of lime.
If you’re conscious about the environment and sustainability, you can find brands that don’t use palm oil.
Hot tip! If you’re keen on fresh veg instead, you can store them in your JetBoil Stove to prevent bruising.