GoPro is back with another iteration of its inimitable HERO action camera. Here’s what we know about the all-new GoPro HERO10.
These things are starting to give iPhones a run for their money as far as yearly updates go, and you’d be forgiven for losing track of which GoPro they’re up to at any given time.
While some years the improvements seem incremental, for the GoPro’s 10th birthday, it looks like they’ve grown up in a big way.
While not the most unbiased source, GoPro’s founder and CEO Nicholas Woodman has said, ‘the HERO10 Black is one of the most impressive cameras in the world, regardless of price.’
Here at We Are Explorers, we’d have to agree.
The Hero 10 offers 23 megapixel photos, improved low light performance and a snappier interface than its predecessors. But the real hero, and reason for the advanced speed, has to be the new GP2 processor.
It’s the first time GoPro has updated its processor since the HERO6’s GP1 back in 2017.
It allows the camera to shoot at its highest ever video resolution of 5.3k which is 91% more resolution than the once acclaimed 4K and 665% more res than 1080p HD – all at 60 frames per second, meaning slow motion options abound.
If you want to take your slow-mo a step further and barely sacrifice the quality in the process, 4K video can be captured at 120 frames per second (4X slow motion) and 2.7K video can be captured at 240 frames per second (8X slow motion). If you’d told that to the GoPro HERO 4 wielding younger Matt, he would have lost his mind!
If it’s stills you’re after, in addition to the 23 meg shots, you’re also able to pull 19.6mpg frames right out of the 5K 4:3 video – perfect for when you want the best of both.
GoPro is also continuing with its commitment to plastic free packaging for all of its products. The ‘packaging’ if you can call it that is effectively a durable travel case that can also fit all your mounts and accessories.
We’re pretty sure ours is in the mail right now, so stay tuned for the full GoPro HERO10 review as well as a comparison to the HERO9 — an epic camera that just became more affordable in its own right.
Full List of HERO10 Black Features
- All-New GP2 Processor
- Video: 5.3K60, 4K120, 2.7K240
- Video Stills: Up to 19.6 megapixels
- Photos: 23 megapixels
- Improved Low Light Performance
- Local Tone Mapping (LTM) and 3D Noise Reduction (3DNR)
- Next-Gen HyperSmooth 4.0 Video Stabilisation
- Increased 45° Horizon Leveling Tilt Limit in 4K60, 2.7K120 and 1080p120 Video
- Front Colour Display with Higher Frame Rates for Smoother Live Preview of Your Shots
- Faster, More Responsive Rear Touch Display with Touch Zoom
- Faster Content Transfer
- 3 Ways to Transfer Content: Cloud Upload, Wireless Offload and New Wired Transfer to Your Phone
- New Protective Lens Cover with Hydrophobic, Water-Shedding Design
- Removable, Rechargeable 1720mAh Battery
- TimeWarp 3.0 featuring Real Speed and Half Speed
- 1080p Livestream featuring HyperSmooth 4.0. Video Stabilisation
- 1080p Webcam Mode
- Power Tools: HindSight, LiveBurst, Scheduled Capture and Duration Capture
- SuperPhoto + HDR
- Night Lapse Video
- RAW Photos
- Digital Lenses Providing Ultra-Wide (SuperView), Wide, Linear and Narrow Perspectives
- Voice Control with 13 commands in 11 languages + 6 accents
- 3 Microphones with Advanced Wind-Noise Reduction
- Stereo + RAW Audio
- Custom Presets + On-Screen Shortcuts
- Built-in Folding Mounting Fingers for Attaching the Camera to GoPro Mounts
- Rugged + Waterproof to 33ft (10m)
- Fast-Charging Compatible
- Compatible with Media Mod, Display Mod, Light Mod and Max Lens Mod (support coming in post-launch firmware update)