Are you looking for a trail run with a purpose? The inaugural Great Forest Trail Marathon is happening this November to raise funds for the campaign to establish the Great Forest National Park in Victoria.
The event aims to raise $120,000 to assist the campaign to establish this part of the world as the Great Forest National Park – and each of the 120 runners is tasked with raising at least $1000 each in order to race.
What is the Great Forest National Park campaign?
This community-led campaign has been rallying for the creation of a national park in Victoria’s Central Highlands and the Yarra Ranges for close to a decade now.
The proposed national park would protect a unique and vital ecosystem while establishing a natural nearby playground for Melbournians. The park would protect;
- forests of Mountain ash, the tallest flowering trees in the world
- the headwaters of one of Melbourne’s greatest water sources, the Thomson River
- the habitat of the endangered Leadbeater’s possum
- and of course areas of cultural significance to the local Taungurung, Wurundjeri and GunnaiKurnai people
Despite the entire Mountain ash forest ecosystem being listed as critically endangered, these forests are currently being logged in order to create office paper and other throwaway paper products.
How do I get involved?
Registration for the marathon is now open, but you need to tick a few boxes in order to meet the entry criteria;
- you must be at least 18 years old to race
- and if you’re running the 44km trail, you must be able to run a marathon in under six hours
Spots are limited to 120 between both the 44km and 22km trail, so if you’re keen, don’t delay! Once the list is full, runners will be added to a waitlist.
Entry costs are $150 for the 22km trail and $200 for the 44km.
If you’re keen to support the cause but don’t fancy yourself a runner, there are plenty of volunteer opportunities to put your name down for instead.
I know how to run but not how to fundraise
Don’t stress! The organising team have resources to help you spread the word amongst family and friends to raise both funds and awareness.
So, are you in? Sign up now before you miss out.