There’s nothing quite like the magic of cooking on an open fire. Not only does it make your food take on that classic flame-grilled flavour, it’s also a bit more authentic and a ripper challenge.
For this Camp Kitchen recipe we used an Alton Goods Titanium Grill. It only weighs 118 grams, more than worth it for a fireside seafood feast! Cooking tools like these mean that hikers, backpackers and other lightweight campers can still turn on their inner campfire chef at the end of the day.
An added bonus of trading the gas stove for an ultra-light cooking grill is extra room in your backpack – more room for food! If you’re going for an overnight hike you can even get away with fresh meat, seafood or veggies, as you’ll see in this article.
Read on for a recipe crammed full of grilled goodness that’ll have you hankering for your next trip into the wild.
Grilled Seafood & Veggie Skewers
Feeds 2 hungry hikers
- 2 lobster tails
- 2 scallops
- 250g peeled prawns
- Olive oil infused with chili, garlic and salt*
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons of fresh coriander
- Fruit and vegetables pre-cut to size for cooking on skewers
- 1 capsicum
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 zucchini
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 5 slices of pineapple
*Infused oil: Mix 60ml of olive oil with 2 finely chopped red chilies, 2 crushed cloves of garlic and half a teaspoon of salt. Store in a small jar for easy packing.
- Alton Goods Titanium Grill
- 8 wooden skewers
- A little chopping board or plate
- Light your fire and let it burn down to coals. Secure your cooking grill between two large logs or rocks (approximately 15cm above the coals).
- Rub the infused oil over the flesh of the lobster tails and scallops. Place scallops (shell side down) and lobster tails (flesh side down) onto grill. Take half of the lime and drizzle onto scallops as they cook.
- After 5 minutes, remove scallops from grill and turn lobster tails over. Drizzle the remaining half of the lime onto the exposed flesh of the lobster tails and remove from grill after another 5 minutes of cooking. Set aside and garnish with coriander.
- Run skewers through the peeled prawns and rub with infused oil.
- Thread pre-cut capsicum, red onion, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and pineapple onto skewers.
- Place prawn and vegetable skewers onto grill. Cook prawns for 3 minutes on each side and vegetables until browned.