One hell of a week’s mountain biking with some of the best Kiwi singletrack and touring on offer.
‘The 85km Old Ghost Road is as good a mountain bike tour as I have experienced anywhere in the world – for the trail, the terrain, the huts and, indeed, the story behind its creation.” Huw Kingston
In the latest version of his Sweet South Island Singletrack tour, join award-winning adventurer (and WAE contributor!) Huw Kingston on this mountain biking journey from Nelson to Christchurch.
You’ll warm up on the trails around Nelson for a couple of days before riding two absolute classic overnight tours. Two days and one night on the Heaphy Track and then three days and two nights on the incomparable Old Ghost Road.
After all that enjoyment and exertion, the tour heads to Hanmer Springs for some hot spring rejuvenation (and more singletrack of course!) before finishing up in Christchurch.
There will be comfortable twin-share accommodation and mountain huts at the end of each day as we rest up, reflect and refill.
Huw is running this tour with his good friends at Adventure South NZ, one of New Zealand’s most respected adventure tour operators.
Day 1 – Nelson Dun Mountain Trails
Day 2 – Kaiteriteri Mountain Bike Park
Day 3 – Heaphy Track To James Mackay Hut
Day 4 – Heaphy Track To Seddonville
Day 5 – Old Ghost Road To Ghost Lake
Day 6 – Old Ghost Road To Specimen Point
Day 7 – Seddonville To Hanmer Springs
Day 8 – Hanmer Springs To Christchurch
- 7 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 7 dinners
- 3 nights hotel/motel accommodation on a twin or double share basis with ensuite
- 1 night lodge in quad share with ensuite facilities
- 3 nights in remote backcountry hut with shared facilities
- Experienced qualified mountain bike guides/driver
- Private vehicle transport
- One entry to Hanmer Springs Hot Pools
- All trail and hut fees
- A bloody brilliant week of mountain biking with like-minded souls!
What do I need to bring?
- Your own mountain bike or we can arrange a good quality rental. We recommend a bike with
140mm of travel, robust all‑condition tyres and seat dropper.
- You’ll carry a daypack large enough for waterproofs and extra thermal layers, hat and gloves, a camera, snacks and sunscreen. On days 3 ‑ 7 you will also need to carry any items you need to overnight in a backcountry hut including a sleeping bag, change of clothes,
- To carry your overnight gear we’d suggest a combination of your daypack with a handlebar roll or underseat bag. We’d be happy to advise on equipment.
Location: North of the South Island, NZ
Date: 15-22 November, 2020
Price per person: NZ$3690
Group size: 6-12