Designed with and delivered by the local legends from Mt Barney Lodge, this popular Wilderness Navigation Course near Brisbane (Mount Barney) provides participants with the skills needed to navigate in difficult and trackless terrains, including theory sessions, multiple bushwalks and a navigation-training manual to keep.
ROUGH ITINERARY & DETAILS
Arrive on Friday evening for a Weekender Extender and wake up fresh as a daisy on Saturday morning, ready for your Nav Workshop.
Meeting at 8am Saturday morning, you’ll run through the theory behind maps and their marginal information, grid referencing, compass and its uses, land and contours, then you’ll head out on a short walk to place your new knowledge into context.
Following that you will cover off on navigation data sheets and route planning before developing a nav-data sheet for the afternoon walk.
A surprise exercise in “geographical embarrassment recovery” concludes the day.
Sunday is a full day walk which you will plan, navigate and experience in off-track locations.
We will be accessing some of the wilderness areas and potentially navigating through rainforest so bring your walking shoes and sense of adventure.
But what will the weekend really be like, you ask? Check out Jacquie’s writeup from our last Wilderness Navigation Weekend at Mt Barney!
- Navigation training manual
- Personal tuition in a small group setting and practical walks on Saturday and Sunday
- Any ropes required for walks
- All first aid equipment
- Public liability insurance
- Camping or Cabin accommodation
- There are a few compasses available to try
- Personal hiking equipment
- Compass (either go and buy yourself a good quality compass before the weekend, or if you’re not ready to dive in financially, try Mt Barney Lodge’s compasses and buy one afterwards. Please don’t buy a cheap compass!)
- We’ll send you a comprehensive packing list prior to the weekend but big ticket items are:
- Sleeping bag
- All food
- Clothing for camping and hiking
- Closed-toe shoes
- Head Torch
- First Aid Kit
- More info on camping at Mt Barney Lodge here
- Check out Packing List for an Overnight Hike for gear ideas
JOIN THE CREW
We’ll create a Facebook group so that you can coordinate with other attendees (transport, food, other adventures!) – so don’t worry if you’re coming alone. In fact, the majority of our Escapees come as a solo crusader and end up finishing the weekend with a whole new adventure crew. Be brave, you won’t regret it!
If you need to cancel, that’s ok… shit happens! To provide you with a refund however, we will need a minimum of two weeks notice. If you contact us later than that to cancel, we’re sorry but we won’t be able to help you.
We do run similar events a few times a year though, so in some cases we may allow you to use your ticket at one of the other events. We reserve the right to allow or deny this however (if you’re outside of the two weeks notice period), as we would need to be confident we could fill your space.
$350 per person (ticket sales close May the 4th be with you, 2018)
All photos by Jacquie Tapsall (@hittheroadjac_aus) at our last Mt Barney Navigation Escape.
We Are Explorers is on a mission to make the outdoors easy and accessible, inspiring millennials to leave their comfort zones and experience nature in its purest forms.
Our experiences are hand-crafted to encapsulate the spirit of adventure and take away the fuss and barriers that currently stop people from getting out there.
If you have any feedback or ideas for future events, get in touch with Ellie at [email protected]