A life-changing five day experience, immerse yourself in Yolŋu culture on traditional Aboriginal homelands in East Arnhem Land.
- Stay on traditional Aboriginal homelands in East Arnhem Land, Northern Territory
- Immerse yourself in Yolŋu culture and make lasting friendships
- Learn Yolŋu language, share traditional stories and experience various cultural practices from basket weaving to spearfishing
‘GULULU’ WELCOME TO OUR COUNTRY – Welcome to Yolŋu Country.
Lirrwi Tourism operates multi-day tours, spending time with the Yolŋu people of East Arnhem Land, living and working on their traditional homelands. Bringing people together to share Yolŋu culture, to build a strong understanding and connection between two cultures.
You’ll be invited to become part of a small Yolŋu community, taking part in daily activities and making lasting friendships.
Tours are suitable for all ages families with children encouraged to share in an ‘Adventure in Culture’.
Lirwii Tourism is now taking bookings for 2021, unfortunately, due to travel restrictions in 2020, this year’s touring season has been suspended.
Day 1 – Yolŋu Homeland
- Arrive in East Arnhem Land and journey to Yolŋu homeland
- Welcome to country and smoking ceremony
- Learn Yolŋu kinship, traditional lore and language, both spoken and sign
Day 2 – 4 Cultural Immersion
- Experience a variety of traditional practices over four epic days; weaving, traditional spearfishing, gathering of bush foods and medicine, dance (Bunggul), storytelling, and how the Yidaki (didjeridu) is made and played.
Day 5 – Hometime
- Depart Yolŋu homeland and East Arnhem Land
- People who come to Arnhem Land with an open mind and a willingness to respect and learn about our culture will leave feeling different to when they arrive. Many visitors say it’s a ‘life-changing’ experience.
- Homeland fees
- Aboriginal land Recreation Area permits
- All transport in the East Arnhem region including airport transfers and ground touring
- All meals whilst on tour
- All linen and bedding
- Cultural experiences/activities on Yolŋu homelands
- Yolŋu driver and guide
What do I need to bring?
- Culturally appropriate clothing
- Walking shoes
- Insect repellent
- Personal items (medicines, toiletries)
- Important to note, there is no WiFi and almost no telephone signal in the homelands
Location: East Arnhem Land, Northern Territory
Tour Provider: Lirrwi Tourism
Duration: 5 days
Price per person: $2399
Group Size: 6-14 persons
Difficulty: Suitable for all ages from kids to adults