We Are Explorers is a new-wave digital publisher on a mission to inspire every Australian to live an outdoor lifestyle and protect our planet.
We partner with the world’s bravest brands and destinations and we’re having a wild time growing the platform with a dedicated team of fun, ambitious and smart people. We’re a B-Corporation and just last year won Consumer Publication of the Year, during a pandemic! Nuts.
WAE regularly posts about new outdoor gear, reviews gear, and partners with brands to promote new equipment and apparel.
To further grow this part of the site WAE needs a dedicated Gear Editor. Working with the Head of Editorial you’ll execute a strategy to turn WAE into Australia’s most trusted source for outdoor gear content.
The Gear Editor has to absolutely froth outdoor gear, but be able to discern what makes some pieces of gear outshine others and be able to communicate this in layman’s terms.
They’ll need to be across new developments, regularly heading out on outdoor adventures, and capable of writing, editing and managing writers and reviewers.
You’ll be working with the Head of Editorial to implement the Gear strategy including:
- Writing lists and comparison pieces to help readers choose the right piece of gear for them
- Staying on top of developments in new gear and writing pieces quickly
- Writing sponsored pieces, deep dives, gear history, gear reviews and how to pieces
- Testing out gear for impartial reviews and paid content (you’ll be allowed keep some of the gear!)
- Managing a weekly Gear email
- Identifying new ways to grow the Gear vertical on the site
- Managing reviewers and commissioning writers for Gear-related pieces
- Implementing an affiliate linking strategy across the above
- Optimising the SEO and Ux of new and existing Gear content
- Uploading Gear content to the website
- Keeping the tone of Gear in line with the inspired-but-laid-back tone of WAE
- Shooting or sourcing photography for the above (some video skill is a bonus!)
Successful Applicants will have:
- Proven experience with outdoor gear and a deep knowledge of the fundamentals of outdoor equipment and apparel
- Experience writing and editing digital content
- Ability to shoot quality adventure and product photography
- Genuine love of the outdoors and alignment with the key goals of We Are Explorers
- Ambition to grow Gear into a profitable part of the website whilst retaining quality and adhering to B-Corp values
- Willingness to work in a predominantly remote capacity and effectively communicate online
- A creative thinker who takes initiative to tackle the challenges inherent to small scale digital publishing
- Skill shooting and editing video is desirable
- Experience with any of the following tools is a plus: WordPress, Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Mailchimp, Lightroom, OptinMonster, Keyword Research Tools
- Part time: 20 hours a week and willingness to incorporate Gear responsibilities into own adventures
- Location: Australia and New Zealand, working remotely
- Will require own computer, decent internet connection and camera equipment
How to Apply
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Subject: GEAR EDITOR APPLICATION followed by your full name
- A short description of yourself and why you’d be perfect for the role (dot points preferred)
- Your social media handles
- Links to published work or a portfolio (max 3)
- Cover letter
- A short (max 300 word) piece of writing about your favourite piece of gear. The piece should demonstrate your ability to talk about outdoor gear in an accessible and engaging way while still understanding and communicating the technical aspects. Please include a few photos.
Applications close Midnight 4th April 2021