This trip through Empress Canyon is the perfect introduction to canyoning.
- Enter a rarely experienced Blue Mountains environment
- Thrilling rock jumps up to 5 metres
- A 30m waterfall abseil to finish
You’ll be provided with a thick, warm wetsuit, canyoning harness, backpack and helmet. Once you’re geared up, we’ll run through abseil preparation training, then off we go to start our journey into the depths of the canyon!
Descending through Empress Canyon involves hiking, swimming and jumping through rock pools beneath towering moss-covered walls. You’ll see the canyon’s beautiful hanging swamps and scuplted sandstone, clamber over boulders, leap into deep pools and spot bright orange crayfish.
The finale? An adrenaline-pumping abseil down the 30 metre tall Empress Falls!
- Begin with meeting and equipment preparation, filling out forms and bathroom break
- 20 minute hike to the start of the canyon
- Put on wetsuits and gear followed by safety brief
- Jump, swim and hike through upper part of the canyon.
- Abseil down Empress Falls
- 25 minute hike back to meeting location, stopping at lookouts along the way
- Qualified and experienced canyon guides
- Thick and warm two-piece canyoning wetsuit
- Canyoning harness, helmet and pack
- Drybags for clothes
- Safety and abseiling instruction
What do I need to bring?
- Light hiking clothes (weather appropriate)
- Enclosed and grippy running/walking shoes that can get wet
- Personal medication if required
- Waterproof cameras or Gopro’s can be brought only if tied to your person